Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Warrior Child

"Warrior Child"

I am young

I have a splendid affair with books and trinkets
I do not know the difference between right and wrong
and I have not eaten the apple off the tree in the garden of Eden or spoken to the serpent with the slick tongue

I am young

I am innocent and blushing unknowingly guilty through my blood
I do not want a lakeside mansion or Ferrari garage
I am happy enough to beat off the backs of garbage can lids and play pretend with my friends

I am young

I can soak up the sunshine, run my fingers through my thick, silky hair
and still not worry about reflections on skyscraper windows or what all the other kids
think I should be doing

I am free

like the eagle of the bluff
I soar to heights enormous
beyond any television show imagination;
unboxed and limitless

I run with the deer through wildflower meadows, I eat the ferns off the forest floor and I steal the farmer's corn
I am a dancing coyote of a time playing Russian roulette with 12 gauge shot guns and orange cotton vests
I am a fearless warrior

I am young

© 2010 Seamus Kevin Orion Fitzgerald

1 comment:

  1. Seamus, I LOVE this poem. Hope you are well.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete