Monday, December 6, 2010

The Simple Healing Power of Aphorism

Lately I have been working with the idea of aphorism. for those of you who don't know what an aphorism is just keep reading. For those of you who do, just keep reading.

So rather recently life has taken a strange turn. My mind has started to turn to very closely to analyzing my situations, perhaps sometime too much. I keep tossing and turning indecision into chaos and inevitably that seems to snowball into various forms of mental and bodily anxiety. The one thing that has really kept me striving is that fact that i am not alone. As far as i have observed, a large number of people are swimming in the same sea. With that said, I want to offer a perspective into alleviating this current point of confusion that I have experienced and know I will overcome, and, if your are going through similar tides, then I hope that this may help.

When I come into a state of total distress I try to center my self as much as possible. This can entail moving the body and releasing physical strain to simply drawing a picture or taking part in crafts. Even just sitting and paying attention to the intake and outtake of the breath will overcome any obstacle. it all really comes down to whatever activity that you enjoy most and that is truly supportive and healthful to your physical and emotional body.

This is where the practice of aphorisms comes to play. An aphorism is technically defined as a "a terse saying embodying a general truth, or astute observation, as “Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely” (Lord Acton)." This article is concerned with the use of aphorism for over coming personal and cultural obstacle. I could go into the history of the aphorism and it's many philosopher's, but i wish to keep it simple and practical for everyday life. I wish to open the possibility of an aphorism's power into common place life.It is amazing to experience the healing and door opening potential of words that more often than note is neglected and taken for granted.


The aphorism, or we can say mantra, is very simple. As simple as it seems it is very hard, for it takes persistence and, when it comes down to it, faith, to put into place. Also, to let you know, it doesn't work instantly. It is essentially a practice of patience and takes much time to cultivate.


Let's start with a simple and i believe universal phrase.
You can say this anywhere you feel it needed to alleviate the onset of situation related anxieties.
To yourself, in your breath, or in pure silence.


"I am in the right place at the right time."


Okay, know let's take a look at a basic formula for the creation of an aphorism. I was given this one by a good family friend of mine. 


The first structure starts like this and is addressed to the inner most self.


"I invite..."


Let's say you are angry. The aphorism may go like this.


"I invite my anger to rest."


See how that feels. Does it fit? if not, simply tweak it until it feels right in the gut.


Now, when the anger rests you can take this a step further. It could go something like this.


"I invite my anger to reveal it's reason."

Say that as much as you like, paying attention to how it make you feel, any images that arise, memories, words, other feelings. It can be good to keep a piece of paper or better yet, a journal by your side. (a pen too!) Just jot down whatever you are experiencing.

Once you get to the cause (karma) of this anger you can once again take this a step further. Take a deep breath and say something like this.


"I invite this cause to surrender to love."


See how that makes you feel. Once again, these are just suggestions. You are more than welcome to tweak any of these to your personal instinct. 


That is it for now. This should be a strong and basic foundation on which to explore the healing of aphorisms for yourself. Remember these can applied to any situation, from financial need to family illness, sudden and close death, relationships; the possibilities are infinite.  With patience and persistence it is fully possible to heal mind, body and soul. Always remember, "All in good time."


Written and edited by Seamus Fitzgerald
December 6th, 2010 over tea at Hardtimes Cafe.












No comments:

Post a Comment